Hyundai check engine light, Why is the check engine light on in my Hyundai?
The Hyundai check engine light is one of the most useful service lights, also called dummy lights, out there. It can alert you when something is seriously wrong with your engine, requiring immediate service. But sometimes, it also comes on for other reasons, like when your car needs minor repairs. So why exactly is your Hyundai Elantra’s check engine light or Hyundai Sonata’s check engine light on? Regardless of which Hyundai model you drive, there are some common potential causes. Read about them below, or schedule the service to get an exact answer!
Common Causes of Hyundai Check Engine Light On
Hyundai’s check engine light is a sort of catch-all light for vehicle maintenance issues. From faulty gas caps to engine oxygen sensor issues, here are some common causes for your Hyundai CEL to light up:
1. Loose Gas Cap: A loose gas cap or a gas cap with a bad seal is the most common problem for the CEL lights to illuminate, so be sure to check that first! If you have an OBDII code reader, you can also reset the CEL afterwards.
2. Mass Air Flow Sensor – The Mass Air Flow (also known as MAF) sensor measures the amount of air flowing through the engine so that the correct amount of fuel can be added to the mixture. If your MAF is not working properly, the check engine light will usually come on. Why is this important? Problems with the mass air flow sensor can cause it to stall, increase emissions and decrease fuel efficiency. Changing your Hyundai’s air filter could fix the problem.
3. Oxygen Sensor – The oxygen sensor in a car is used to detect how much oxygen is in the exhaust to measure how much fuel is being used. If not repaired, your vehicle’s catalytic converter could be malfunctioning. Most commonly, you’ll notice a big drop in fuel efficiency.
4. Spark plugs that need to be replaced: Faulty spark plugs can cause your engine to misfire, which can trigger your Hyundai check engine light.
5. Faulty Catalytic Converter: The catalytic converter converts carbon monoxide into safer compounds for less pollution. If you have a problem with the catalytic converter, your gas mileage could be affected or you could experience decreased acceleration.
How can I fix my Hyundai’s check engine light?
You may be able to fix certain minor issues that trigger the Hyundai Check Engine Light (CEL). Once these issues are resolved, the light should turn off automatically. But if the check engine light needs to be manually reset, or if you’re not sure why it’s coming on, it’s best to take your vehicle to our service center to be sure!
Here are some steps to take if your Hyundai’s check engine light comes on
1. Check your vehicle’s owner’s manual – reading it can help you learn all about the various Hyundai service lights, including the Hyundai Sonata Check Engine Light, Hyundai Elantra Check Engine Light, and just about any other dash light. hyundai instruments.
2. Most Hyundai service lights, including the CEL, are color coded to give you more information about the potential problem – yellow lights, for example, tell you about a problem that needs to be checked out soon. On the other hand, red lights indicate a problem that requires immediate attention.
3. Is the check engine light on? Be sure to check for signs of engine overheating or low oil pressure. In these cases, you must turn off the engine and call 833-577-0822 immediately.
4. If you are unsure why your CEL is coming on, we recommend taking your vehicle to the expert Hyundai-trained technicians at Luther Burnsville Hyundai who will be able to read your engine code, diagnose the problem and fix it quickly.
What to do if your Hyundai Check Engine Light is on
Now that you’ve read more about the check engine light on popular Hyundai models near Eagan and St. Paul like Elantra and Sonata, you may be wondering what to do. We invite you to call us at 833-577-0822 or contact our service professionals online for immediate assistance or to schedule an appointment to repair your Hyundai’s check engine light. If your vehicle is stopped on the side of the road near Inver Grove Heights, Hyundai Roadside Assistance can help.
Read More >>